The European Sustainable Heritage Award 2023 is a new competition organised by European Historic Houses in partnership with Airbnb. It aims to recognise and reward efforts to improve the sustainability of privately owned historic houses, gardens, and parks.
This initiative aligns with the European Green Deal, which seeks to make the European Union carbon neutral by 2050 through legislative changes in areas like building renovation, biodiversity, innovation, farming, and the circular economy. EHH, deeply committed to these goals, together with Airbnb has decided to award three candidates with up to 20,000€.
Entrants to the competition must own a historic house and be members of one of the EHH Member Associations. They are required to have undertaken a renovation or improvement project in their property with a minimum cost of €20,000, focused on enhancing sustainability while preserving their role as custodians of European heritage in the past year. Projects may have an impact on energy efficiency, waste management, water conservation, biodiversity and ecosystems.
The winner of the competition should fulfill all the requirements and demonstrate a deep understanding and passion for the heritage sector, along with innovative thinking and tangible successes in sustainability.
- Chance to connect and learn about new interesting and sustainable projects across Europe.
- Possibility to promote your own project and ideas.
- Feature in our social media channels and newsletter.
- Attractive prizes for the three selected candidates! The winner will receive 20,000€ and the two finalists will get 10,000€ each.
- Take part in our award ceremony event on 6 February 2024 at the European Parliament in Strasbourg.
Quick calendar overview
- 23 October 2023: applications period opened
- 31 December 2023: deadline for applications
- January 2024: panel meeting and contacting the selected finalists
- 6 February 2024: ceremony award event at the European Parliament in Strasbourg