- Medieval Architecture: 5th-14th centuries
- Renaissance, Baroque Architecture: 15th-17th centuries
- Rococo, Neoclassic and Modern Architecture: 18th-20th centuries
- Domizia del Gallo di Roccagiovine – email@example.com
- Ewelina Oksiuta – firstname.lastname@example.org
*We will only accept applications from our members and their members, but the visits will be accessible to everyone!
For those of you who missed the opportunity of discovering these cultural gems, both the descriptions and virtual visits will be available below.
Our first Participants
- Zámek Hrádek (CZE)
Chateau Hrádek is located 5 km from the town of Sušice in the southwestern part of the Czech Republic. The first mention of Hrádek dates back to 1298. It is a preserved deed of donation. After 1590, the medieval fortress was rebuilt into a Renaissance chateau. The year 1731 was significant for the chateau when earl Jan Ferdinand Des Fours de Mont et Athienville became the owner. He began the reconstruction of Hrádek by building a new Baroque chateau next to the old Renaissance one. In 1775, a Baroque chapel dedicated to St. Valburga was built. After the end of World War II, the chateau and the whole estate were confiscated. The chateau was turned into apartments for about 20 families. In the communist era, nobody took care of the maintenance of the chateau, so it fell into disrepair and became increasingly uninhabitable. Due to the state of disrepair, the Baroque chateau tower collapsed in 1976 and the chateau gradually became depopulated. The chateau was purchased by architect Mr. Pavel Lejsek in 2000, who started work to save the building from its collapse. In June 2010, after a difficult reconstruction, the chateau was opened to the public as a hotel with a restaurant. In the following years, the outbuildings, courtyard, chateau park, Baroque chapel were gradually restored. Since 2016, the Empire-style orangery and the utility garden have been under reconstruction. Other outbuildings (especially a former brewery building) are still waiting for their rebirth. Thanks to its romantic surroundings, the chateau is popular for civil and religious wedding ceremonies and a variety of cultural and social events.
- Villa Bell’Aspetto (IT)
Villa Bell’Aspetto was built in 1647 by the Cardinal Vincenzo Costaguti. The original planimetry was made up only by the central building surrounded by four tours. For a long period, it was a hunting lodge “Casino” as we know from the illustrated hunting list from Giovanni Piancastelli, that reported the names of the family participating. Camillo Borghese, husband of Paolina Bonaparte bought the villa in 1832 from the big deal maker Don Giovanni Torlonia that had bought it from the Costaguti. As he had no children, Camillo left the villa to his brother Francesco, married to Adele de La Rochefoucauld. The Garden is a typical Mediterranean informal garden with Holm, Cork and Downy trees: from 1840 where added Domestic Pine, Alepensis Pine, sea Pine, Eucalyptus, date Palms, Phoenix Canariensis that at the main entrance surround the spring water fountain instead of the original pond. Climbing to the Villa, from the informal garden, you enter the formal Italian one. In the Orangery, a fruit cared by the Neoplatonic symbolists, Rodolfo Borghese designed a little boxwood street that forms two hearts that face themselves in the middle of the house axis. The original building that Giovanni Antonio de Rossi (1616-95) conceived was a sober interpretation of baroque that gradually bent over the needs of a large family. Marcantonio, Francesco’s son, was the first Borghese to deal with the static problems of this imponent Villa and had to build robust and immense columns from the bottom to the top to hold the big noble living room. In addition, he decided to introduce a dining room for his big family. Every recipe was for 22 persons and had to sacrifice the great external staircase. It is in this period and then with Paolo Borghese that the villa lives its best period.
- Ballyvolane House (IE)